Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Beckett Update: Singing and Napping

I want to post little updates as Beckett grows and changes. So many little things happen that I don't want to forget!

A few weeks ago, it was after we moved to Juneau, he started laughing an giggling at our funny antics. Matt's gotten really good at making him laugh--he'll scrunch his face or  draw his mouth wide as a stream of silly noises gurgle from him. I'll lay on my back, Beck resting on calves, and I'll raise my knees to parallel, his tiny hands grasped in mine. "You're flying!" I exclaim, and then coo, "Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba Beckett!" to the tune of the batman theme. His mouth opens wide in a big grin as he soars over mommy.

I got my library card here in Juneau about a week and a half ago and checked out a bunch of books for Beck. When I read them to him he really sat and listened and looked. I was so surprised, he's still such a little guy! He loves feeling things with his hands and got a real kick out of turning the pages with his very own hands, though he likes to push them in the opposite direction than we read.

On Friday he started napping! Such a shock! Matt and I always tried laying him down, and he'd never sleep more than 10-20 minutes without one of us holding him or sleeping right next to him. But on Friday my mom was here, and said, "do you ever lay him down to see if he'll nap?"

"Yeah," I sighed, "he never does. But we keep trying because we know one day he will."

So I tried it, and guess what! He konked out for like an hour and a half! Yesterday and today both he took like 3 naps; his lids sink closed as he sucks on his pacifier. He descends into peaceful sleep. I keep peeping in on him as he dozes sweetly, then and come out to celebrate with Matt. "Our baby naps!" I croon.

Tonight he started singing. Maybe he's always been singing and we just never new it, but tonight Matt sang along to "Edelweiss," one of his favorite Sound of Music songs. Beck has always said "Oh!", that was actually his very first sound, but tonight he said it in rhythm to Matt's singing. His sounds normally have the same pitch, but tonight he added a lower, "Oh!" really trying to match Matt's voice. "Oh, oh," he trilled, one high and one low. So cute!

He was a real joy tonight, talking and babbling lots to grandma, mommy, and daddy. He's also completely obsessed with chewing on his little hands, gobs of slobber running down his chin.

I think sometimes I underestimate him, he's so tiny and can do so little himself. But he ovserves and processes the world around him all the time, that's why he needs so many naps! He never ceases to surprise and amaze us, each day we wonder what little joy will unfurl as he grows toward adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment